VAT Guides Registration Information

Fiscal Representation

For companies providing goods or services in foreign European countries, there may be a requirement to VAT register as a non-resident VAT trader.  Many countries permit the foreign company to register ‘directly’ with the tax office, without having to appoint a local representative.

However, under certain circumstances, the tax authorities will requires the company to appoint a Fiscal Representative in the destination country.  This company must be tax registered and willing to act as the local representative of the company, managing with queries and filing obligations of the company for dealings with the tax authorities.  

In some cases, the fiscal representative may be jointly liable for all VAT payments of the company.

The tax authorities regard a fiscal representative as the local agent of the foreign trader – which leads to several compliance obligations. Additionally, since the fiscal rep is jointly liable for the trader’s taxes, it is industry practice to require a security deposit or bank guarantee in favour of the Fiscal Representative to mitigate against potential risks if the company reneges of any liabilities.

Related articles

Why Register for VAT in Foreign Jurisdictions?

Businesses who provide goods or services in a jurisdiction with a VAT regime must comply with the relevant VAT laws of that country, and this will often include registration and filing requirements.

Read more
Non-resident VAT registration

All EU and many non-EU countries permit non-resident VAT registration if a business undertakes taxable activity in the country. Rules for registration may differ to those for local businesses.

Read more
De-registration of VAT

If a business no longer makes taxable supplies in a country, and has no reason to be registered for VAT, de-registration or de-activation from VAT may be required.

Read more